28TH FEB 2017
8 Health Benefits Of Coconut Oil You Didn’t Know
BY J.S. VON DACRE
Coconuts are considered to be one of the healthiest foods, so it should not come as a surprise that coconut oil provides a range of benefits.
Hundreds of studies have examined how coconut oil is beneficial for the body. Here are the top 8:
1. Coconut oil contains high amounts of natural saturated fats, which increases the healthy cholesterol that your body needs. This means that it can help to prevent high blood pressure, high cholesterol and heart disease.
2. Coconuts are made up of 50% lauric acid, which is an active anti-cancer component. In one study, researchers discovered this component was able to get rid of more than 90% of colon cancer cells.
3. Lauric acid is also known to combat bacteria and viruses.
4. The American Society for Nutrition has stated that the fats found in coconut oil “may be useful in treating and preventing diseases such as diabetes, osteoporosis, virus-related diseases (mononucleosis, hepatitis C, herpes, etc.), gallbladder disease, Chrohn’s disease, and cancer.”
5. A study conducted in 2004, found that coconut oil improved the memory in older patients. As it is easily absorbed into the body, it is able to access brain cells more proficiently.
6. It is converted to energy much quicker as it is easily digested and as a result, it increases metabolism. Furthermore, this also improves digestion.
7. Due to this rapid conversion to energy, it is excellent for weight loss or muscle gain.
8. Since ancient times, coconut oil has been used to prevent tooth decay and promote healthier gums. In an Ayurvedic dental technique known as “oil pulling”, a small amount of coconut oil is swished around the mouth for about twenty minutes before it is spat out.
May you sparkle both good health and jewellery always!